Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Song of the Day: UFO - Rock Bottom [live]

This interview with Joe Elliott of Def Leppard on the AV Club was an interesting read, but reading the comments proved to be even more fruitful. One user began a thread about a band I had never heard of, UFO, and how awesome their guitarist is. A number of other users agreed, and the album that most mentioned was a live LP called Strangers in the Night - in particular, a few mentioned the song "Rock Bottom." I immediately went on Spotify to seek out the album and started with that song...

And wow - I was blown away. The riffs are great, but the solo, especially around the 7-minute mark, is completely insane. Before the song was over, I was on eBay looking for a copy of the LP on vinyl, which I won a few days later.

I had never even heard of Michael Schenker, the guitarist, and then a few days after hearing UFO, I heard his name again - this time it was in the Anvil documentary (highly recommended btw). This is why I'll never stop buying music - just when I run out of new things to buy, something older rears its head and suddenly I have a new obsession.

No comments:

Post a Comment