Monday, June 14, 2010

Song of the Day: The Drones - Jezebel

This is one of the scariest songs I've ever heard. I had heard the Gala Mill album a couple of times, but when I sat down with the lyrics and really listened to this song, I was completely blown away. I'm one of those people who doesn't really pay attention to lyrics - I think I only notice when they're particularly awful or inspiring.

I wouldn't necessarily say these are the latter, but when vocalized with the vitriol that the singer exhibits here, the song really gets under my skin. This passage in particular always gives me goosebumps:

Yeah, Dan Pearl
They cut your head off on TV
But I am not a camera
A man is not an effigy
But still all this horror
Has made a trench out of my soul
I'm gonna have to fall in love with a blind girl
So she will not see the shame that I know

I saw these guys play this live a few years ago (I believe they were opening for Band of Horses), and I was watching this song with my jaw on the floor. Even just listening to it again for the first time in months, it still blows me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment