Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Song of the Day: The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Breaking the Girl

I'm back in LA, so it seemed appropriate to pick an LA band for the song of the day. I was a huge fan of RCHP in high school, and Blood Sugar Sex Magik was the first CD I ever bought. And by "I bought" I mean my dad bought for me, as I was 15 and it had one of those stupid Parental Advisory stickers on it.

(Side note - when I was a sophomore in high school, I made a presentation for English class about music censorship, including the PMRC and the Parental Advisory stickers. I played a few songs, including "Negative Creep" by Nirvana, and I passed around the CD booklet for Blood Sugar, which included the lyrics to all the songs. Needless to say, I was super popular in high school.)

While I no longer find RHCP as awesome as I once did, I still have a special place in my heart (ears?) for this album and Mother's Milk. Yes, the lyrics are often pretty tepid, and yes, Kiedis is not the world's greatest singer, but Flea has always been a badass bass player (nice to see him get some love as part of Thom Yorke's new band), and Frusciante is a great guitarist and background singer (and not to leave out Chad Smith, a solid but never flashy drummer).

This song is one of my favorites off the album and is one of RCHP's more understated songs (not saying much, I know).

No comments:

Post a Comment