Thursday, June 10, 2010

Song of the Day: Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Bright Lit Blue Skies

I listened to some earlier Ariel Pink based on Pitchfork's recommendation and the ties to Animal Collective, and I kind of remember hating it. So when I saw all the blog hype the new record, Before Today, was getting (including a 9.0 from Pfork), I kind of wanted to hate it. But goddammit, it's pretty f'ing good.

Most of all, it's all over the damn place - one song sounds like an early '60s British Invasion song, another like some Ween R&B jam, and plenty of '80s synths throughout.  But I'll be damned if I didn't want to listen to the whole thing again. 

1 comment:

  1. Well I just read on PopMatters that this song is a cover of a song from 1966. So I guess I actually kind of know what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete