Thursday, January 13, 2011

Song of the Day: Dinosaur Jr - Get Me

Where You Been was a monumental record in my life. I was a junior in high school and just getting into music, particularly "indie" stuff (ignore for a moment this record was released on a major label - it's still "indie" in spirit, whatever that means).  I was also into Neil Young big time, and from the opening Crazy Horse-inspired riffs of "Out There" to the obvious Young homage "Not the Same," this record was the epitome of everything I liked about music at the time.

I remember playing it for some friends, and let's just say the reaction was not quite as complimentary.  I realize that J Mascis's voice is a potential distraction, but anyone who likes guitar-based rock music would have to at least appreciate the fact that this guy can play the shit out of the guitar.  I still love this album through and through, so picking a favorite song is not an easy task.  "Get Me" is definitely one of the best though - it features J's trademark croak, some excellent backing vocals, and two guitar solos that completely and thoroughly destroy most others.

No comments:

Post a Comment