Friday, January 28, 2011

Song of the Day: Hall & Oates - I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)

So yeah, I guess it's cool to like Hall & Oates again? Or can one only enjoy them ironically?

I became reacquainted with them last year, as my parents found a copy of the "Maneater" 45 in the attic. For me, 2010 was the year that I rediscovered a lot of music from my formative years that I had sworn off as I got older - mainly the over-produced, distinctly late '70s or '80s sounds of Def Leppard, Boston, Hall & Oates, etc. I've recently gained more of an appreciation of how these bands put together their songs and what it takes to make them sound so slick - and in the case of H&O, how they can write a near-perfect pop song.

"I Can't Go for That" delivers the goods completely - the keyboards, the drum machine, the backing vocals, and of course, the sax solo. Is it cheesy? Yeah, a little. But if you're not humming this song and marveling at how damn good it sounds (listen on headphones), then at least try and enjoy it ironically, as you stroke your Oates-like mustache.

No comments:

Post a Comment