Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Song of the Day: Wire - Lowdown

As I've mentioned before, I became an R.E.M. fanatic when I was 12. When I become infatuated with a band, I usually want to know what they listen to and what inspires them. This is how I became familiar with Wire.

Actually, I should say I first came to know Wire without knowing that I knew Wire; that is, R.E.M. covered Wire's "Strange" on Document, only I didn't know it was a cover song. But I later read in an interview that Michael Stipe was especially influenced by three albums: Television's Marquee Moon, Patti Smith's Horses, and Wire's Pink Flag (it's scary to me that I still remember reading this some 20 years ago, but I digress).

While I wasn't able to get my hands on the latter record, I did get a best of that encompassed their first three albums. At the time, I didn't think it was all that great, but it's really grown on me over the years, especially as I've come to love similar bands, such as Gang of Four. In fact, thanks to vinyl reissues, I now own the first three Wire albums, and when this song from Pink Flag came up on my iPod the other day, it reminded me how great the band is.

No comments:

Post a Comment