Friday, July 22, 2011

Song of the Day: Def Leppard - Foolin'

When I was posting songs last week from recent Amoeba purchases, I conveniently neglected to mention that one of these purchases was Def Leppard's Hysteria. This wasn't because I was embarrassed about it; rather, it's because Hysteria kind of sucks.

So why did I buy it? Well I purchased Pyromania not long ago, and had a revelation - Def Leppard is kind of awesome (and not even in an ironic way). Plus, when I was a youngster, everybody was listening to Hysteria, and it was the greatest. But I put off revisiting the album, as "Pour Some Sugar on Me" is pretty unbearable to me. Sure enough, I was disappointed in the album, and another childhood memory is tarnished.

Instead of focusing on the bad, let's hear some Pyromania. As much as I want to post "Photograph," I'm giving a slight edge to "Foolin'" - yes, the intro is a little cheesy and makes me think we're going to power-ballad territory, but once the "Is anybody out there?" part starts, the vocal overdubs and guitar riff really slay me.

No comments:

Post a Comment