Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Song of the Day: The Who - Bargain

When I was in junior high, I started listening to a lot of Classic Rock radio. I found that my dad had a cassette of Who's Next that he copied from a reel-to-reel.  In case you don't know what that is, it looks something like this:


And the reel-to-reel was most likely a copy of the vinyl LP. I don't remember it sounding crappy, but I have to imagine that a vinyl LP recorded to tape and then recorded to tape again was probably not exactly high fidelity.  The singles from this album are still on Classic Rock radio (at least, I'm guessing - haven't listened to the radio in years), but the rest of the songs are what keep me coming back to the album.

I had a hard time picking a song from the album, but "Bargain" has all of the Who's signature sounds - Keith Moon's ridiculous drumming, vocals by both Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend, plenty of power chords, keyboards (used to classic effect on "Baba O'Reilly"), and John Entwistle's basslines (check out the part when Pete is singing - unreal).  Just a classic Who song, but one that doesn't get the love of the singles.


No comments:

Post a Comment