Thursday, March 11, 2010

Song of the Day: Big Star - Thirteen

As I intimated in my Sloan post, Big Star is the band that started my "power-pop" obsession.  Their first two albums, #1 Record and Radio City, which I originally bought packaged together on one CD, are indisputable cult classics.  Many of their songs are instantly hummable, and the best known is likely "In the Street," the opening song for That '70s Show (I believe the first few seasons it was actually a cover by Cheap Trick, but I'm too lazy to look it up).

"Thirteen" is not one of their catchy songs, but it's certainly one of their best.  The acoustic guitars and background vocals sound excellent in stereo (listen on headphones for full effect), and the longing of the lyrics and Alex Chilton's voice are devastating.  About as close to perfect as a song can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment