Monday, September 27, 2010

Song of the Day: The Strokes - Modern Age

This was my first exposure to The Strokes - the original version of Modern Age, off of the EP of the same name.  They were heavily hyped by NME, and I bought into the hype immediately upon hearing this song.  I apparently wasn't the only one buying into the hype.  I was still living in NC at the time the debut came out, and a couple months later, I went to see them at the Cat's Cradle, and I've never seen so many people trying to scalp tickets - there must have been 50 or 60 people out there, and the Cradle only holds a few hundred.  But it was an amazing show, as they were very tight for a band with only one album under their (fashionable) belts.

Note that the vocals of this song sound a lot different than on the album - much more Lou Reed-like.  These guys were the perfect amalgam of the Velvet Underground, Television and other bands I loved, and their debut is probably already considered a classic, despite being all of ten years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment