Friday, September 10, 2010

Song of the Day: The Black Angels - The First Vietnamese War

As I mentioned in my very first song-of-the-day post (and probably many times after), I once had the opportunity to guest DJ on Indie 103.1.  In order to do this, I had to submit a 12-song playlist, and when I got to the station, I asked how the selection process was administered (I was wondering if it was random, or if they actually looked at the playlist).  It turns out one of the reasons I was selected is because I included a song by The Black Angels, and Mark Sovel (aka Mr. Shovel), the music director, was a big fan.

This is one of my favorite songs of the last few years - I love the late '60s feel of it, which is due not only to the lyrics but the organ and guitar feedback.  I later bought the Passover LP and found that all of their songs have this vibe.  In fact, this morning I saw via Stereogum that they were on Letterman last night, playing an even more '60s sounding tune.  Hope you dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment