Friday, November 5, 2010

Song of the Day: Devendra Banhart - Now That I Know

I bought Devendra Banhart's first album based on a Pitchfork review, and while it didn't blow me away, there is something about his music that is alternately frustrating and exhilarating. I keep buying his albums, though they never leave me quite satisfied.

It's mostly due to what appears to be a lack of self-editing, starting with the album length. Most of his albums are over an hour and include a few duds. So why do I keep buying them? Well his good songs are damn good. Take this track, the opening song off of his Cripple Crow album. Just him and a guitar, it's a gentle, whispering track that avoids some of the questionable lyrics of his other songs.



Side note - watching the Parenthood TV show last season, there were two Devendra Banhart songs played during one episode. I never would have guessed his songs would show up in a mainstream TV show, but what do I know?

No comments:

Post a Comment