Monday, November 1, 2010

Song of the Day: Metallica - Eye of the Beholder

Metallica was actually a fairly recent "discovery" for me, believe it or not.  It's not that I didn't know they existed - I'd have to be pretty oblivious for that - but I didn't realize that I actually liked their music.

A big part of the problem for me was their vehement anti-Napster stance a decade ago.  As someone who was using Napster to try stuff before buying (yes, I'm a perfect angel), I found it disingenuous that a bunch of rich guys were worried about a few people getting their music for free.  Not to mention, Lars came off as the world's biggest asshole with that entire escapade.  But hey, do I only listen to bands who are nice people?  The Rolling Stones seem to only care about money at this point, but it doesn't make Exile on Main St any less awesome.

At any rate, I always liked Metallica's "One," so when I saw a used copy (take that, Lars!) of ...And Justice for All on vinyl, I decided to give it a try.  And unfortunately, I kind of loved it.  Since then, I've procured Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and yes, Metallica (the black album), and while I like them all, Justice remains my favorite.  "One" still packs a punch, but the song I kept wanting to hear was "Eye of the Beholder," which shares a side with the former on vinyl.  Luckily, I also found a copy of the seven-inch at the Pasadena City College flea market - check out the picture sleeve below.



No comments:

Post a Comment