Monday, November 15, 2010

Song of the Day: The Velvet Underground - Oh! Sweet Nuthin'

The Velvet Underground's first album, The Velvet Underground & Nico, was my initial exposure to the band, and I was hooked immediately.  Though depending on the day of the week, I have a slight preference for the slick sweetness of Loaded to the earlier, rawer output.

In particular, my favorite Velvets song, "Oh! Sweet Nuthin'," closes out the latter LP.  Everything about this song is perfect, from the guitar line that plays throughout, the ethereal backing vocals during the chorus, the searing guitar solo and ferocious drumming...while this song doesn't epitomize the Velvets (for example, it's not sung by Lou Reed and drummer Mo Tucker doesn't play on it), it still is seven of the greatest minutes I've ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment