Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Tim and Eric benefit for Haiti

Last night I was one of the lucky few to get into the "For Your Haiti" benefit that Tim, Eric and John C. Reilly were hosting - I was at the 10pm show.  I'm sure my boring recap won't do the evening justice, but I'll try.

On our chairs were forms to fill out if we wanted to make another donation.  For $100 donation, Dr. Steve Brule would leave a personalized outgoing message on your voicemail.  You know, for your health.

The show started with Tim and Eric setting the stage for what we were going to see: the first two episodes of Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, two episodes of the Dr. Steve Brule spin-off "Check It Out!", a Q&A and an auction for dinner with Tim, Eric and John.

I'm not going to give away too much about the episodes except to say there were a lot of surprise guest stars, a lot of pubes and a lot of laughs.  Definitely don't miss the very first sketch of the first T&E show - I was in tears.

The Q&A with Tim, Eric and John was interesting, in that after two questions, no one seemed to have any questions.  I think a few people realized this, and not wanting the night to end, asked some fairly mundane questions about the process T&E go through writing the show.  The best part of the Q&A was that after the question was asked, Richard Dunn (of T&EASGJ!) would repeat the question to the guys, they would answer, and he would repeat the answer back to the audience.  And by "repeat" I mean paraphrase hilariously, often changing the question or answer into something completely different.  Best example - someone asked if there was a real person that Dr. Steve Brule was based on.  Richard Dunn repeated it (and I'm paraphrasing) as, "who inspires you?" to which John replied, "my parents, Jesus Christ..." 

Then came the auction for dinner with the three guys, which they described as sitting in a locked van outside In N Out for hours, passing around a piss cup.  They stopped the auction in the middle, chastising us for not going anywhere near as high as the auction at the 8pm show.  They probably got a couple hundred extra dollars out of that, and the dinner ended up going for $500 - quite a deal if you ask me, but too rich for my blood. 

Of course the best part of the evening was that all the money - the tickets, the auction, the voicemail - went to help with the disaster in Haiti through Partners in Health.  If anyone actually reads this, feel free to donate:

Partners in Health: www.standwithhaiti.org/haiti

No comments:

Post a Comment