Thursday, March 24, 2011

Song of the Day: Elton John - Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters

Elton John and David Bowie occupy a similar space in my record collection - they both have a number of timeless, iconic songs that I can never get tired of. And they both have a ton of songs that I would prefer never to hear again.

I'm not even talking about the recent stuff that's a result of just being an artist that's been around a while. I'm talking about songs and albums released during their heyday that can't hold a candle (in the wind (yes, I went there)) to their best.

But I came here to praise Elton, not to bury him. While I knew the biggest of his hits, it wasn't until seeing what is now one of my favorite all-time movies, Almost Famous, that I heard this one for the first time. It's subsequently become one of my favorite songs, and it's led me to discover some of Elton John's other great songs (and, of course, some of his stinkers).

No comments:

Post a Comment