Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Song of the Day: X - White Girl

The first thing I heard from X was a snippet of this song, only I didn't know it was this song, and I didn't know it was X. In "Good Time Boys," the first track of Red Hot Chili Peppers' Mother's Milk LP, three samples are played in the bridge - Fishbone's "Bonin' in the Boneyard," Thelonius Monster's "Try" and this song.

I had heard of X, but I wasn't prepared for the awesomeness of their second album (and my first), Wild Gift. They're often associated with punk, and while there are definitely punk elements, the songs also have a rock and roll (particularly rockabilly) feel to them. Not to mention, the lyrics are fantastic, and the singing and chemistry between John Doe and Exene Cervenka (a one-time couple) really make the songs burn. And "White Girl" exemplifies X at their best - catchy chorus, driving beat, Exene's yearning background vocals...just a perfect song.

No comments:

Post a Comment