Sunday, February 14, 2010

Song of the Day: Yeasayer - 2080

The arrival of a new album by a band I like, no matter how good it is, always make me want to listen to the band's previous album.  In this case, I recently got Yeasayer's Odd Blood (or ODD BLOOD as I see it on some sites), which put "2080" squarely in the front of my brain.  I like the first album quite a bit, though I can probably only name about half the songs by title.

"2080," however, has been one of my favorite songs for a while.  When Indie 103.1 in Los Angeles was still being broadcast over the airwaves (sadly, it is only streaming via the web now), they let a listener take over the broadcast on the "Coup d'Etat" every Tuesday night.  To enter, you had to email a playlist of 12 songs to the station.  I started creating a list, spent weeks agonizing over it, and finally sent it in.  Within about 10 days, I received an email that I would get an opportunity to be on the show (I believe this was mid-October, 2008 - I can't find the date anywhere, and unfortunately the link to my playlist on the website has been taken down.  However, you can listen to the whole playlist through Lala - link in the right column.)

There were a couple songs that I knew right away would be included in my playlist, and "2080" was one of them.  I'm not sure where I first heard the song, but I would venture to guess that I was able to download a copy from Pitchfork.

What do I love about this song?
Very psychedelic beginning, then the drums and then the bass kicking in.  excellent guitar line throughout as well
The way the lead singer lets his voice get lower and lower during the line that ends "Sunday morning"
The chanting during the bridge is fantastic, and of course gets even better at the end, with the kids chanting too  


No comments:

Post a Comment