Monday, February 15, 2010

Song of the Day: Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot

My first experience with Sonic Youth was their Dirty album in 1992.  They were one of the many "alternative" bands that I discovered through Nirvana, and perhaps being on DGC had something to do with me buying Dirty.  I loved it, and to this day it might be my favorite SY album, despite being known for its "poppy" material (hey, it's all relative). 

It took me a lot longer to get into Daydream Nation.  I was in high school, my parents had company and gave me $20 and told me to get out of the house.  I had read that Daydream Nation was the penultimate SY record, so when I saw it at the local record chain (for a mere $18 on CD!!), I had to get it.

It took a few years before I could get past the first two songs, but now I recognize why this album is universally lauded.  Teenage Riot is probably one of the best opening tracks on any album.  Why do I like it?  The slow, shimmering guitar and Kim Gordon's voice that opens the track.  The guitar riff that really gets the song going.  And of course, the great lyric "it takes a teenage riot to get me out of bed right now."  To my sixteen year old self - and even now - this lyric still gets me excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment