Sunday, May 23, 2010

Song of the Day: The Connells - Fun & Games

To start off NC week, these guys were definitely the musical heroes of Raleigh, NC in the late '80s and early '90s, and they eventually gained some international fame in 1993 for '74-'75.  The Connells also eventually became part of my first concert experience - an Earth Day concert at Walnut Creek in Raleigh that also included Drivin' and Cryin', fIREHOSE and other bands I can't remember.

Fun & Games was my first exposure to The Connells, courtesy of a cassette tape borrowed from a friend.  While I still think this album, Boylan Heights and One Simple Word all still hold up, I can't say with 100% confidence that I would like The Connells if I were hearing them for the first time today.  The songs are catchy and well-played, but it's completely impossible to disassociate the music from the experience of hearing them as a 12 year old.

Having a particular emotional connection to those albums, it's also damn hard to pick a favorite Connells song.  But today I'm going with the title track off of Fun & Games, which is a pretty good representation of "college rock" in the late '80s.



P.S. - I'm excited to say that by my count, this is the 100th song I've posted on the blog. So if you're keeping track at home, that's 100 songs, 3 readers.  What a ratio!

No comments:

Post a Comment