Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Song of the Day: Prince - The Beautiful Ones

Today just felt like a Prince day.  Like many people in their 30s, I was listening to Prince's Purple Rain at an age that defied understanding the lyrics of the songs.  I mean, an eight year-old cannot grasp what the hell is going on in "Darling Nikki," but it was pretty obvious it was something dirty.  The album is obviously a classic, and most of the songs have been heard a thousand times.  This is one that doesn't get a lot of love, but it's probably my favorite on the album.  The falsetto and way he changes it up is amazing, and the way he screams "do you want him or do you want me?" is probably my favorite Prince moment on record.  In fact, the entire last two minutes of the song never cease to give me chills.

No comments:

Post a Comment