Friday, May 7, 2010

Song of the Day: MGMT - Siberian Breaks

There seem to be two distinct camps for the new MGMT record, Congratulations - the people who hate it because they were expecting more "Kids" and "Time to Pretend" and the people who like it because everyone hates it.

I think I fall in between these two - I was hoping for more pop songs in the vein of the first side of the debut, and this record didn't really grab me at first. However, the more I listen to it, the more I'm enjoying it. As I tweeted a few weeks ago,this isn't nearly as weird or un-catchy as The Flaming Lips' Embryonic (which I also enjoy), yet it's getting a lot more bad reviews than that record .

I particularly like side 3 of Congratulations, the song suite titled "Siberian Breaks."  It's pretty much all over the damn place, much like the record, but it's a great sounding song.  Will you be singing along with it?  Probably not.  But it'll grow on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment