Thursday, August 19, 2010

Song of the Day: Throwing Muses - Bright Yellow Gun

I really don't remember the circumstances surrounding my purchasing this album, but I do know this (nerd alert) - I was playing a lot of Castlevania II on the Nintendo while listening to it.  It's strange the two are correlated in my brain, given the game came out in 1990 (thanks, Wikipedia!) and University in 1994 (when I most likely already had a Super Nintendo).  But when I hear this album, part of me still reminisces about that game (though admittedly, I had to do some research to see which Castlevania game I was thinking of).

For my money, this is definitely one of the most underrated albums of the '90s.  Kristen Hersh has a unique voice, and her guitar playing is fantastic - the best word to describe its sound would probably be "shimmering."  I had a hard time picking a song from this album, but in the end I had to go with the most obvious - "Bright Yellow Gun."  It's the first track and was the single off the album, and I like it so much that I have the 12-inch and 7-inch versions. But you can't really go wrong with any song from University - I can't recommend it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment