Thursday, February 3, 2011

Song of the Day: Echo & the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon

I've mentioned this song before yet somehow have neglected to share it...until now. I didn't care much for the first Echo song I heard - it was a cover of "People Are Strange" for The Lost Boys, the 1987 double-Corey extravaganza that perhaps pre-dated the teenage thirst for blood...I mean vampires. At any rate, I was a huge Doors fan as a kid and thought any cover to be sacrilege, and this was no different. I enjoy the cover nowadays (and the movie remains strangely rewatchable, at least from a semi-ironic distance), but Echo & the Bunnymen's originals are much, much better. "The Killing Moon" is by far my favorite song of theirs, and, speaking of covers, Pavement fans would be wise to check out their cover of the song, which is a b-side on the "Major Leagues" single.

No comments:

Post a Comment