Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Song of the Day: INXS - Never Tear Us Apart

Growing up in the '80s, I of course owned INXS' Kick on cassette. It's hard to fathom just how popular they were at the time, but I can almost guarantee that anyone over 30 can probably hum at least half that album - they either owned it, or they heard all the singles that became big radio and MTV hits.

I rediscovered this album by purchasing a cheap used copy on vinyl about eight years ago. Like a lot of music you enjoy when you're younger, it's hard to predict how you're going to react to it as you get older.  I was pleasantly surprised that I really enjoyed the album, though at least 90% of their awesomeness can be contributed to Michael Hutchence.

Since Beck has wrapped up his Kick Record Club (and moved on to Yanni), now seemed as good a time as any to play my favorite INXS song, "Never Tear Us Apart."  OK, the strings sound a little too synth, and the "we all have wings/ but some of us don't know why" lyric is a bit cheesy, but Hutchence's voice is fantastic throughout this song, and how can you beat a sax solo?  You can't.

(As much as I love this song, I was disappointed to watch the director's cut of Donnie Darko and find that Kelly replaced Echo's "The Killing Moon" with this song.  It just doesn't fit as well - but maybe that's just, like, my opinion, man.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment