Thursday, July 29, 2010

Video: The Who - A Quick One While He's Away

I've stated my affinity for The Who before, but this recent AV Club feature calls for an extended comment.  This video represents, to me, everything that is awesome about rock music.  It's loud, beautiful, cheesy, abrasive and over the top.

I bought the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus when it came out in the mid 90s on VHS.  I played the thing to death, as it has amazing performances from Jethro Tull (featuring Tony Iommi on guitar), The Who, a supergroup of John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell, and of course the Rolling Stones.  While I love the Stones, there is no question in my mind that The Who's performance here blows them out of the water. Dissecting the video into my highlights:

Keith Moon's lip syncing at the beginning (if you've heard Live at Leeds, you know they sometimes "feature" him)
Roger's outfit, which I got a chance to see in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame
Whatever the hell Keith is doing at the 1:48 mark
The fact that the big stoic guy (John) sings the falsetto
Keith's drum rolls at the 3:00 mark
Pete's mischievous smile around 4:23
Dang! Dang! Dang! Dang! (used to awesome effect in Rushmore)
The look on Keith's face at the 5:11-5:14 mark
Pete's "agaaaaaain" at 5:34
Pete's forgiven forgiven forgiven forgiven at 6:32
Keith's sweat or whatever is going on around 6:41
Pete using his face to adjust the mic at 7:15


The who - a quick one
Uploaded by piRjtull. - See the latest featured music videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment