Thursday, July 22, 2010

Song of the Day: Ween - Baby Bitch

I really want to like Ween.  I mean, I like them, but I feel like I should love them.  They're great musicians, and they've written a lot of catchy songs, but I think sometimes the humor just doesn't do it for me.  They have a huge cult following, and I understand why people are obsessed with them - I'm just not one of them.

The only album I actually own is Chocolate & Cheese, and this song has always been a favorite of mine.  I was reminded about it recently when I went to Largo for a charity event for Ben Stiller's charity.  In addition to Stiller, there were a lot of great guests, including Josh Homme, and it was hosted by Greg Behrendt, who I didn't know but now think is a genius.  The idea was that the guests would tell a story involving music, and then the artist or the "house" band would play a song.  Homme told a story about playing a show in Germany (or Austria?) and a midget being tossed on stage, and Stiller described meeting Mick Jagger about doing a movie (and then he played drums with the house band on "Gimme Shelter").

But the house band made the show memorable, and it included Nina Gordon of Veruca Salt, whose voice blew me away.  Not only did she nail the difficult backing vocals of "Gimme Shelter," but she sang Ween's "Baby Bitch," which amused me to no end.  This could easily be an Elliott Smith song, but Ween definitely make it their own with some very NSFW lyrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment