Saturday, April 3, 2010

Song of the Day: Bob Mould - Brasilia Crossed with Trenton

In my freshman year of high school, I started subscribing to Rolling Stone.  Once I bought my first CD player, in my sophomore year, and started my quest to own every piece of music ever recorded (still working on it), I began exploring the CMJ (College Music Journal) charts, which were published in the back of RS.  This is how I came across the awesomeness that is Bob Mould.

Specifically, it was his band Sugar, and more specifically, the first album, Copper Blue.  This led to discovering his first band, Husker Du, which led to hearing his solo albums, Workbook and Black Rain.  While the latter was in the vein of his other stuff that I'd heard (loud guitars, punk/postpunk sound), the former was a fairly quiet (for him), acoustic affair.  This long, almost stream-of-consciousness song from Workbook is the one that instantly grabbed me, and it remains my favorite to this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment