Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Song of the Day: Devotchka - Along the Way

Watching Little Miss Sunshine for the first time, I remember being particularly impressed with the soundtrack.  I saw in the credits that Devotchka contributed original music, and I tried to seek out their albums but couldn't find any on vinyl.  Luckily, A Mad and Faithful Telling was released shortly thereafter (a purchase I actually noted here back when I was barely writing any posts).

This is a criminally underrated album (even my mom likes it for crying out loud), likely due to the fact that it's not easily categorized.  It could probably be called "World" music, but that has such negative connotations that I don't even want to go there.  It sounds like the kind of music I'd imagine hearing in Eastern Europe, and apparently the word is Russian (and you'll hear/read it throughout A Clockwork Orange, in which some of the language is Russian and some is made up gibberish), so that may be why I make that connection.

"Along the Way" is easily my favorite song on the album, and one hopefully you'll be humming the rest of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment