Friday, April 2, 2010

Song of the Day: The Byrds - You Don't Miss Your Water

This is alt-country ground zero. Once I started listening to Wilco and Whiskeytown, I started getting into the bands they were influenced by, like The Flying Burrito Brothers. The Gram Parsons (and Chris Hillman*) connection begat this album by The Byrds.

While everybody and their brother knows the early Byrds songs - probably a Dylan cover, "Turn! Turn! Turn!" or "Eight Miles High" - the songs from Sweetheart of the Radio are not exactly classic rock staples. Which is a shame, because this is a great album from start to finish. I had a hard time picking one to play, but this one has the great Byrds harmonies their known for, as well as some serious country twang.



* I was 99% sure that Chris Hillman was in both groups, but I verified it by going to allmusic.com, which I frequently reference. If there is a better music reference site on the web, I will be surprised (but delighted if you'd tell me what it is).

No comments:

Post a Comment