Monday, April 19, 2010

Song of the Day: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - From the Beginning

ELP is one of the reasons people cringe when they hear the word "prog." Most of their catalog is wanky bullshit - don't even get me started on that "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends" song - but they have a couple of singles that are really good. "From the Beginning" was a classic rock radio staple for me growing up, and I think I appreciate it more now than I did back then. This song sounds particularly good on vinyl - I find acoustic guitars usually do - but the problem is you have to sit through the rest of the songs, and it's not a pleasant experience. So if you like this song...well, I wouldn't recommend to seek out the rest of their catalog. Maybe start with a "best of" compilation and pray you can find another song worth hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment